If you want to generate your own clean and renewable energy, solar panels are a great option. Solar panels use the power of the sun to produce electricity for your home. But how do solar panels work? And what are the advantages of having them? In this article, we will answer these questions and more.
A solar panel is a collection of photovoltaic (PV) cells, which are devices that convert light into electricity. Each PV cell has a positive and a negative layer, creating an electric field. When light photons hit the PV cell, they excite the electrons in the electric field, causing them to move. This movement generates an electric current that can be used to power appliances. A typical solar panel has about 60 PV cells that can produce up to 300 watts of power. To increase the power output, multiple solar panels can be connected together to form a solar array. A solar array can be mounted on your roof or on a ground-mounted rack.
Solar panels are not only good for the planet, but also for your wallet. Here are some of the advantages of going solar:
– Solar panels can boost your home’s resale value. According to several studies, homes with solar panels have an advantage over homes without solar panels when it comes to selling. This is because buyers value the savings and the sustainability that come with owning a solar-powered home.
– Solar panels can reduce your carbon footprint. By using solar energy instead of fossil fuels, you can avoid emitting harmful greenhouse gases that contribute to climate change. Solar energy is clean, renewable, and abundant, unlike coal, oil, or gas that are finite and polluting.
– Do some homework. Read online reviews, ratings, and testimonials from past customers. Look for any problems or complaints that may have happened during or after the installation process.
– Compare offers. Get at least three quotes from different solar contractors and compare them based on value, quality, warranty, and customer service.
– Ask for recommendations. Get in touch with previous customers and ask them about their experience with the solar contractor. Ask them if they are pleased with their system’s performance and if they would vouch for the contractor to others.
– Check credentials. Make sure the solar company is licensed, insured, and certified by relevant organizations such as NABCEP (North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners).
– Read the deal carefully. Before signing anything, make sure you understand the terms and conditions of the deal, including the payment arrangement, the warranty coverage, the installation timeline, and the ownership of the system.
One of the best options for homeowners who want to improve their energy efficiency, save on their utility bills, and have backup power in case of emergencies is Tesla Powerwall. It is a battery storage system that connects with your solar panels and lets you store extra solar energy for when you need it.